What is FSSAI E-commerce license/registration?
In 2011, FSSAI directed all the e-commerce food business operators to have an FSSAI food license mandatorily. It is covered within the first schedule of the said regulatory body to obtain a license for their operation. The central licensing authority issues such licenses. Recently in 2018, after the viral video of zomato delivery boy came, FSSAI issued some new guidelines saying that all e-commerce businesses need to have only trained delivery agents for last-mile delivery. It is done to ensure food safety and security. The E-commerce food servicing business is increasing rapidly, and FSSAI receiving complaints and not registered companies. Due to which FSSAI directed all the e-commerce food businesses to be compliant with the regulations. In addition, we need to resolve the complaint within the specified timeline.
Food items like groceries, packages, food, etc., are sell online, for which now a business owner requires an FSSAI license.
- Basic food registration: small e-commerce portal having turnover up to INR 12 Lakh could apply for basic FSSAI food license
- State food license: e-commerce businesses with turnover between INR 12Lakh to INR 20 Crore could apply for the FSSAI state license.
- Central food license: e-commerce businesses turnover above INR 20 Crore couple go for FSSAI central license.
What is the necessity of FSSAI registration/license for an E-commerce food business?
Many incidents reported against e-commerce food businesses enforced FSSAI to take strict action and form guidelines for such companies. Many people are running towards these online portals rather than offline purchases. Maintaining the food quality delivered in every order, ensuring safety, and providing satisfaction to every customer is the basic aim of introducing an FSSAI e-commerce license/registration.
How to get an E-commerce FSSAI license/registration through QSEK
Step1: contact the agent in QSEK; fill the form given, along with the provided list of documents
Step2: on your behalf, our employee would contact FSSAI and filled a form
Step3: wait for a minimum of 7 to a maximum of 15 days, depending upon the type of license or registration
FSSAI license for E-commerce business basic information
- As per the Food Safety and Standards regulation, 2011, every E-commerce food business operator shall be covered under schedule-I. They are also required to have a license from the central food licensing authority for every supply chain, including its registered office, storage place, manufacturers, distributors, transporters, etc. The license/registration need to depend on the turnover requirements as specified by the Act. FSSAI made many changes recently to maintain food quality and food safety.
- Every E-commerce FBO needs to entitle an agreement with such manufacturers/vendors/sellers/brand owners saying that such sellers/manufacturers/brand owners/vendors have compiled with the FSSAI regulations.
- E-commerce entities engaged in listing services of brands, food products, and restaurants are not required to have an FSSAI license/registration under the Act. They are not involved in any food business as defined under section 3(n) of the Act.
Listing requirements on food-related websites/ online portals
- All the manufacturers/sellers/brand owners/vendors who offer pre-packaged food for sale to consumers on their portal or any marketplace on the internet is needed to put a clear picture of the “principal display panel” of such pre-packed food. Along with it, the batch/lot no, expiry date, best before, expiry date and MRP should also be mentioned clearly on the platform.
- Manufacturers/sellers/vendors/brand owners dealing in freshly produced food items would need to have a picture of the same product to the e-commerce FBOs for displaying on their platform.
- Every manufacturer/seller/vendor/brand owner selling his or her products through an e-commerce medium is needed to display an FSSAI registration/license No, with the mandatory food information free of cost.
Documents required for E-COMMERCE FSSAI license
- Photo ID of the business owner,
- Authorized person address proof
- Passport size photo
- FSSAI declaration form
- Nature of business details
- List of food products
Advantages of FSSAI license for E-commerce business
- FSSAI license could instill confidence in your customers ensure the safety requirement of the food products and services through any online portal.
- It would automatically increase customer boarding.
- It is easier to expand the online business over different cities by it, leading to growth in the services.
- It would help in manufacturing, regulating and storing imported food.
Liabilities of E-commerce food business operator
Every seller/manufacturer/vendor/brand owner must comply with the basic sanitary and hygienic practices mentioned in schedule 4 of food safety regulation 2011. The E-commerce food business operator should immediately delist food products that do not comply with the FSSAI guidelines.
Penalties for any compliance
Running any food business online (manufacturing, sales, distributors, etc.) which need to have FSSAI food license/registration but does not apply for it is a punishable offence as per FSSAI guidelines. There is a punishment for about six months and a fine of fee INR 5 Lakh.